These yummy heart-shaped cookies are easy to make and simply irresistible ! Their auspicious colours and shape also make them ideal as CNY and Valentine’s Day treats. Gather all the ingredients and get to work with your young ones in the kitchen. Once these treats are ready to eat, don’t forget to put some aside for your guests before they’re all gobbled up.
For the dough:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- A jar of red fruit jam (e.g. strawberry, raspberry, cherry)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, cream the butter and shortening; gradually add sugar. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Hint: the kids to help with some tidying-up around the house while waiting!
- Meanwhile, stir the ingredients for the filling together.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm thickness; cut with a 5-cm wide heart-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour.
- Place half of the cookies on greased baking sheets; spoon 1/2 teaspoon filling in the center of each. Use a 4 cm-wide heart-shaped cutter to cut small hearts out of the other half of the cookies. (Bake small heart cutouts separately.) Place the remaining hearts over filled cookies; press edges together gently. Fill the center with additional filling if needed. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 180 deg Celcius for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks and enjoy! (Cookies can keep for up to 10 days in an airtight container – if they don’t get eaten up by then!)